June 22, 2004

Public Service Announcement

Public Service Announcement
But first, Blogger is cracking me up. Their ads, I assume, are electronically assigned based on the most recent things the person writes about. Normally my ads are just for Blogger itself, I guess they don't have any ads about "banging chickens." But today as a result of my last few posts my ads are for "Oral Fixation Mints" and "Discount Christian Books" and the automatic search links are "Greed" and "Sloth." If people new to the site decide to judge me based on Blogger's banner ad, they will think I am a mercenary and lazy yet religious ho. Which I take exception to. I am NOT mercenary.

So anyway, we had the girls' Christening this past weekend. Let me just say once again that if you want to know who your real friends are, have kids. The people you see around you on their special occasions are the people who are still going to be in your life, years on down the road. Except of course, people who have real reasons for not being there, like weddings or family barbeques at the same time or their own baby showers/engagement parties. But other than those friends, the people who you will still love and will still love you in 20 years will be standing next to you, smiling at you while you cry because your children are being baptised. Or they'll be in their car, driving a little too fast, hoping the ceremony doesn't start on time (Paul and Kwame.) Thank all of you for coming, especially the godparents who were able to make it. You guys rock. Even you Tony, who offered Angelina a beer when you know full well that she only drinks hard liquor. By the way, I didn't get the memo about godparents only wearing black, white or pale green.

It makes me feel a bit sad, but the more time passes, the more I realize that I wasn't as close to some of my friends as I thought I was. I wanted to think that we had more of a bond than instant messenger, drunken nights in the city, dinners at Friday's, random road trips and shots of Jaeggermeister in the parking lot of some packed club. But when you grow up and strip all that away and there's nothing left, not even a "How are the kids doing" from someone you spent every Wednesday and Friday with for five years... well that just sucks. I guess maybe I'm taking it personally that some people I know can't be bothered with me now that I have kids, because having kids has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. Nothing I have ever done before has ever mattered even half as much. All those tequila shots at some dinghy bar, the dancing at clubs with names that change every three weeks, the drunken nights at strip joints with strippers named after flowers, the blunts smoked at 3am on the roof of a car parked on some unknown country road... all that was garbage. That wasn't my life, that was crap to pass the time because I was bored.

So pretty much what I'm saying is, to all you people who could have come on Saturday but figured sitting around on your couch or going to the mall or going to a barbeque hosted by some person you barely know was a more important thing to do, FUCK YOU. Don't let the door of our friendship hit your fat ass on the way out.

No comments: