April 2, 2005

Sadness

Sadness
You know every so often I have to throw everyone off-center and post something serious. Although of course, everyone has been expecting it because he's old and sick, I am sad that the Pope has passed away. Despite my issues with the Catholic Church overall, I do think that Pope John Paul II was a good leader who cared less about the politics of faith and more about the humanity of it. I remember straining to catch a glimpse of him driving by in "The Popemobile" as a kid when he visited Los Angeles, and I remember straining to catch another glimpse of him as a teenager standing in the courtyard of St. Peter's Basilica. Perhaps it is my Catholic upbringing and the fact that he was the Pope for pretty much the duration of my life so far, the fact remains that I am a bit sad. He probably would have been appalled by me but I was a bit inspired by him.

Will I head over to church and light some candles to mark his passing, you ask? Probably not. But I have said a prayer and tonight, I will pour a couple for the homies who ain't here no mo'.

No comments: