September 4, 2005

If I Had No Loot

If I Had No Loot

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I would have written the second message in black too.


I am going to be honest with you all, as usual. I'm a fairly law-abiding person. I say "fairly" because I have been known to occasionally jaywalk, toss my cigarette butt on the floor and pilfer candy from the bin at supermarkets. There have also been a few incidents of public indecency thanks to eight too many drinks but we won't go into that now. My point is, people are talking mad smack about looting but if me and my family and friends were trapped in New Orleans right after the aftermath of the hurricane I would be the Looting General:

"Geo, people are raping kids. Go out to Walmart and get us a few guns and don't forget the ammo for God's sake."
"Tony, we have no food or clean water, nor does it look like any will be made available to us. Go find some. Try to get soy baby formula if you see it. Aisle 17."
"Abel, everything we own has just been swept away and relief workers can't come help us because idiots are shooting at them. We're stuck in a third world country with no money to buy medicine or bribe corrupt town officials. Go find us some gold bracelets."
"Mike, we need a boat. According to the (my) rights of salvage, anything we find belongs to us. You're the fireman and probably have the most endurance so go swim around and find us a boat."
"Kwame, go over to Forever 21 and pick up that lavender tube dress they have in the window. Size small."

Yeap, that's exactly what would happen. It would be the stores with small valuables that would have to look out for me. I don't know how much help an Oriental rug or flat-screen TV would be to us in a crisis. And of course, once we were rescued I would totally give back my ill-gotten goods. Except the food that had already been consumed of course. Store owners would just have to suck that one up. Oh and the dress. The dress stays.

No comments: