January 19, 2003

High School Yearbook

High School

In yet another one of those "What a fucking small world" quirks of life, I just found out that the guy my friend Mandy is dating is actually this guy Art who I was friends with back in high school at North Hollywood. For weeks I've been hearing about this guy Mandy's with but I never heard his full name until Lani told me last night:

Lani: Yeah, Mandy's new guy is from Cali but right now he's playing basketball in Israel.
Me: Really? That's cool.
Lani: He used to play ball for Stanford, he backed up Brevin Knight.
Me: Wait.. one of my friends from high school played ball for Stanford... what's his name?
Lani: Arthur Lee
Me: Holy shit, she's dating Art?!?!?! *freak out* We used to be friends blah blah blah etc etc blah.

So then I dug up my old high school yearbook and got all nostalgic. Some quotes from people's notes in my yearbook:

"Well what can I say but damn, you never calm down..."
"I've known you for two years and I think you're a nice and sweet person, no matter what anyone else might say."
"It's been fun ditching with you at lunch, like the time you yelled at that guy 'I've been fucking going out this fucking gate every fucking day and you're gonna fucking ask me for a pass NOW??'"
"We've had what I would refer to as a love/hate relationship. You love to do things that make me wanna hate you." (that was my best friend George)
"I hate goodbyes, I much prefer to just take the money off the nightstand and go..."
"I'll miss those fun days in Mr. Hicks' class, when you would constantly get me in trouble...'I can't believe Hyung was chewing gum Mr. Hicks. You should have him burned at the stake or at least serve 10 hours of detention.' If this is how you treat your friends I'd hate to see how you treat your enemies." (I miss Hyung!!)
"I'll miss you a lot when you leave for Santa Cruz. Be nice to the guys there okay?"
"As if you haven't bugged my ass enough for the 50 or 60 years we've known each other, you're gonna wake me up in the middle of class just to sign this?!?!"
"You've been a true friend.. someone who always told you what they honestly thought, regardless of how much you didn't want to know it."
"I love you so much, you bitch!!"
"Remember that you should love people for their minds, not their bodies."
"Thanks for coming with me to my summer class, it was so boring and you helped me not to learn anything."
"I'll miss your dirty jokes that turn me on...wait that sounded like I'm a lesbian."
"Your sly and sneaky ways to ditch class taught everyone good lessons."
"Experiencing three of your boyfriends was quite an experience. You never chose the right guy (ME ME ME!!)"
"I can't believe your crazy ass jumped into that freezing pool.."
"I'm glad you got a new boyfriend because you were acting very pitiful without one." (That was Art. I was pitiful though. Stupid Gerald. I hate him.)
"Good luck at UCSC. Work hard and get a good education (oh stop laughing) but don't forget to have fun."
"You and I have had a strange friendship consisting of hysterical fits of laughter and calm psycho-analyzation."
"You gave us all a true definition of the word bitch."

Wow. That was 10 years ago (10 FUCKING YEARS AGO?????????) and I think I still sound exactly the same. Peace out, halftime's over.

No comments: