August 21, 2004

Friday

Friday

Yesterday, we headed into the city to meet up with two of my sorority sisters, Rose and Leen, who were in town from San Francisco, and my other sorority sister Nellie who moved here from SF a year ago. Geo couldn't find parking so he just drove around while we ate lunch at Joe's Shanghai:


Don't believe everything you read in tourist manuals though, that place had horrible food. Later on we hit up Zara and H&M in SoHo, but after half an hour inside H&M I was ready to go home. Stores in the village area don't really fit double strollers. Added to the snooty people who stand around as if they owned the world, my temper was simmering a bit. I even had to bitch at someone. She was standing in line for the fitting room, talking to some guy and after I said "excuse me" she turned, looked at me, looked at the stroller, looked back at me, then turned around and didn't move an inch. So I yelled "Hello!!! I said move your fat ass out of the way." She moved. She wasn't fat, pretty normal, but you could tell she was one of those people who would be really bothered by someone calling her fat. So of course I pulled it out of the arsenal.

That night Geo and I headed back into the city to meet up with them again. This time it was adults only! They didn't know where they wanted to go so I told them to meet us at Angel on the Lower East Side:


We weren't feeling the music (and Geo wasn't feeling their watered-down well whiskey) so we went on a club hunt to find some hip-hop. My friends Pete, Angelo and Mike rolled up and suggested some club called Big Sticks. I thought they were suggesting a gay bar. I was surprised, but game. Gay bars are fun as hell. Turns out I just have bad hearing, either that or they fail to enunciate properly. The club was called "Big Six." And it blew. So we left after I peed and washed my hands at a communal sink, three feet from the dance floor.

The guys suggested Freight, in the meat-packing district. So we went from "Big Sticks" to the "meat-packing district." It was also kind of lame but they were playing decent music and we were tired of jumping from place to place. Nellie bounced due to some unforeseen drama in the boyfriend department. Leen kept wanting to do shots "for old time's sake" and we toasted the glory days back at UC Santa Cruz enough times to get nice and liquored up.

Some guy kept bugging Leen but she was so drunk she couldn't brush him off properly. He kept jumping in our business and I finally had to tell him to go away and let us finish our drinks. But he came back the moment we were done.

Rose: You need to stop harassing my friend.
Annoying guy: I will if you dance with me.
Rose: You can't dance!!!

Oh my God, we were in hysterics. I love Rose. I miss Rose. We headed back to the dance floor and "Hey Ya" came on. I think my friends were looking at the three of us and thinking "Cali girls are weird" because we were messing around and dancing like it was the 80's. After the club we hit up Hop-Kee for some salt and pepper squid, peking style pork chops, dried sauteed strings beans. Unfortunately Tony wasn't around so I couldn't order the Cantonese-style snails. Me and Pete can't finish those by ourselves. Well we probably could. We don't go there too much anymore of course but every time we go to Hop-Kee we always see people we know from back in the day. Friday night was no different, we walked in and saw this guy Charlie who I hadn't seen for about 2 1/2 years. Hop-Kee is like the Friendster of Chinatown.

Mike: I didn't know you were full Filipino. I thought you were half.
Rose: What?
Riss: He thinks you're a Mexican.
Rose: Why?
Mike: I'll tell you why later.
Riss: It's because of your bodunkadunk.
Rose: Is it because of my kadunkadunk?
Leen: Yeah is it because of her big ass?

No comments: