August 27, 2004

Oh No The Olympics Are Almost Over

1. Yeah I teared a bit when they had the medal ceremony for Christian Gille and Tomasz Wylenzek of Germany in the 1000 meter canoe event. Gille was crying on the podium, because his former partner had died of leukemia this year and he had wanted to win the gold for him.

2. Okay sometimes while watching the Olympics it annoys me that the Greek spectators get away with shit that Americans would never get away with. Booing and whistling for so long that the race gets held up? Booing the American runners because they didn't skip out on their drugs tests? Give me a fucking break. Your golden boy would have been on that track if he wasn't so sheisty. By the way, I find it amusing that Greek track athletes were responsible for 9 out of 14 no-shows to drug tests in 2003. No that's not suspicious at all. Yeah it's a fucking American conspiracy. We held your runners down and injected them with steroids a week before the Games. Or maybe we handed them a steroid-laced Gyro. Even Kwame said on the phone today "You know I am so not the Ugly American but they need to just get over it. Your guy wasn't going to win anyway." It was pretty funny that the Americans swept the event. I would have liked to be in that stadium afterwards.

3. I need to go find out who that Namibian runner is because I cheer for him in every event he runs. I think it's because he looks older than everyone else. Just like I always cheer for that one old diver, even when he's up against the U.S. We blew in diving anyway.

4. Can someone please explain to me why there's a 100m hurdles event and a 110m hurdles event? Is it that the men's event is 10 meters longer? I think we females could have swung that last 10 meters. It just seems very random. But hey, gotta throw a shoutout for the Chinese guy who won it saying he was proud not just for himself and Asia, but also for all yellow-skinned peoples everywhere. Woo-hoo that's me!! He won it for me too!!

5. Kwame was saying today that he can't fault the Dream Team too much because it was all kind of ridiculous. "Moving screens and they never call fouls against any of the international players. Tim Duncan has four fouls in the first quarter of every Olympic game. They should have just said they didn't want us to win anything and we would have sent a bunch of college kids." I thought though that college kids might actually do a bit better since they're used to zone. Watching the basketball games were kind of funny though. Seeing Stephon get an elbow to the face and wait for a call while wiping blood from his face and hearing nothing from the officials. His facial expression was worth about 8 laughs.

I love Kwame because he lets me get away with things like...

Kwame: Hello?
Me: Kwame are Dominicans black?
Kwame: I don't think so but Coleen does.
Me: So what do you think they are?
Kwame: Spanish.
Me: Okay... how come?
Kwame: Because they speak Spanish.
Me: But they look black.
Kwame: Well Coleen thinks they're black. But I don't consider them black.
Me: What about people from Trinidad, Haiti and the West Indies?
Kwame: They're all black.
Me (still confused): Okay.
Kwame: Dominicans are closer culturally to Spanish people. The others are closer to black culture.
Me: Oh!! Okay that makes sense. We were sitting here, 2 Filipinos, 1/2 a Puerto Rican and 1/2 a Chinese person trying to figure out whether or not Dominicans were considered black people. I was like we're going nowhere with this, we need to toss a black person into the mix. I love that you let me call you up and ask stupid questions like these.
Kwame: That's alright. I call up Coleen all the time when I'm listening to a reggae song and go "Hey what's he saying here???"

Dang, Kwame I forgot what you told Coleen when she asked why you always called her up with that shit. It was funny as hell though.

No comments: