October 5, 2004

Rude Awakenings and Relief

Rude Awakenings and Relief

Geo and I received quite a rude awakening at 5:38 in the morning in the form of someone ringing our doorbell about 30 times in rapid succession. We were both kind of freaked, I mean I imagine it's the exact process a psycho in a fit of rage follows when he goes to your house to shoot you. We peeked out the window and it was our brother-in-law Nev. Unlike many people in the ghetto, I was actually relieved to see a frantic black guy on my doorstep at 5 in the morning. Not just because I was related to him, but also because I'm fairly certain that none of the people who hate me in this world are black. I think they're all Filipino. With maybe a couple white people thrown in for good measure.

So anyway, Geo goes to open the door and Nev explains that he got a text message from Geo's sister Net at 3:48 a.m. that said "HELP DADY" and that was it. He didn't get any more messages after that and he wasn't able to reach her. We're like "Holy crap what's going on" and I can't figure out if it's Net or if her 4-year-old son is able to text message. Either way it's pretty scary. Geo thought she'd been kidnapped or something. So I get on the phone and call Geo's uncle's house in Cherry Hill and ask his cousin Aris to drive to Net's apartment and make sure she's okay. 20 minutes (and 4 phone calls asking "Are you there yet") later, I get a call from Net. Apparently what happened was that she was having a really vivid dream that she was being killed, and she sleep-text-messaged. Isn't that nuts?? It's sleep-walking for the new millenium.

So in the end we were all very relieved, but next time I see Net I'm going to hug her then give her a really good pinch and tell her to think about that while she's sleeping. The girls woke up at 5:30 too because the dogs started barking when the doorbell rang and didn't go back to sleep until 8. I think I'll give her two pinches instead, one for each kid.

No comments: