December 1, 2005

PostSecret

PostSecret

I got an advanced review copy of PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives, from Frank Warren's publisher. Frank is the mastermind behind the PostSecret phenomenon. It's an awesome book, on a variety of levels. First, it's gorgeous. The cover art is simple, yet clever and the pages are clean and colorful. That may sound bizarre but part of the beauty of the book, is that the postcards speak for themselves. There's nothing extra to detract from the idea that they are the voices of real people. The guy sitting next to you on the train could be "I had gay sex at church camp 3 times" and the woman who just served you your coffee could be "I put decaf in the cups of all customers who are rude to me."

It illustrates the differences between a person's public persona and their innermost thoughts, a subject that has always fascinated me. The book is devoid of political correctness, people are just saying what they genuinely feel without fear of ridicule or reprisals. There's something liberating in that, for them and for the reader. You see it, laugh and think "So I'm not that crazy after all." The pages are thick too which adds to the effect, and the postcards themselves are creative. It was interesting to see what background people chose for their secret.

The book was sad, funny, beautiful, disturbing and uplifting all at the same time. Human. But I could just be biased because I think weird thoughts (obviously) and love quirky art books. It started when I was a kid and someone guy visiting from Canada gave me a copy of Griffin & Sabine. Who doesn't like to read other peoples' mail and snoop around in other people's lives. Reality TV is popular for a reason.

Here's another postcard from me...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


P.S. - The "I've always wanted to rob a bank" one killed me. Come on, like you've never thought "Imagine how much money is in there." Not that I ever would though. I'm just saying.

No comments: