December 4, 2005

17 Movies I Shouldn't Admit I Like

17 Movies I Shouldn't Admit I Like (To People Who Actually Have Eyes Or Ears)

USA Network aired Bring It On Again just now and though it was a crappy, crappy, CRAPPY movie, I watched the last 20 minutes. Which brought to mind this list. And remember, "like" doesn't mean "think is a great and wonderful masterpiece." I am aware they are cinematic dingleberries.

Here they are:

1. She's All That -- I don't like this movie dammit. But I keep watching it. I'm either lying to myself or lying to you guys.
2. Robin Hood: Men In Tights -- That mole on Prince John's face is in a different place every time they show him. I'm laughing out loud just thinking about it.
3. Titanic -- Christ, I can't even believe I'm actually documenting this.
4. Earth Girls Are Easy -- Does anyone remember this movie? Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, Damon Wayans and Jim Carrey were in it. This movie got destroyed by critics. They weren't able to get even one slightly good quote for their advertisements. The movie psoter probably said something like "It's a movie!" It bombed so bad that my friend and I were the only two people in the theatre, the day it came out. People seem to like the DVD though. Maybe they use them as coasters.
5. It Takes Two -- This movie has the Olsen Twins in it for God's sake. With dialogue like "Ain'tcha gonna wanna meet him" done in a crappy rendition of a Bronx accent. And as if that wasn't bad enough, it also has Kirstie Alley. I need professional help.
6. Simply Irresistible -- So it's a crappily written rip-off of Like Water For Chocolate starring Sarah Michelle Gellar of all people. It has food in it okay? FOOD.
7. Bedazzled -- I claim I bought this DVD so Geo and Tony can ogle Liz Hurley dressed as a Meter Maid. But that's all it is, a claim.
8. Corky Romano -- The scene when he's accidentally coked up and giving a speech to third-graders is hysterical.
9. Deep Blue Sea -- In my defense, this movie has Michael Rappaport in it and he rocks.
10. Romeo & Juliet -- No, not the original one that actually has acting and stuff. The gay one shot in Mexico City.
11. Bring It On -- Okay I have yet another confession to make. Sometimes I watch the National Cheerleading Championships on ESPN2. The irritation brought on by the presence of Kirsten Dunst in this movie is at least balanced out by the presence of Eliza Dushku.
12. Happy Together -- Actually, this isn't very embarrassing at all, because most people probably haven't heard of it. And for those of you that have, Patrick Dempsey is hot now so it almost justifies liking it.

I'm sure there's more but it's 5 in the morning.

Okay, I'm back. And ready to add more, per everyone's suggestions and reminders.

13. Center Stage -- I've watched this movie in its entirety only a few times, but seen the end about a hundred. The dance sequences at the end make it worth sitting through the whole movie and the super stupid final minute.
14. Coyote Ugly -- We'll just play the John Goodman card.
15. Salsa -- But you all knew this already. This one is perhaps the worst of admissions, being that the movie stars a member of Menudo in it. MENUDO.
16. Notting Hill -- Forget it, THIS is the hardest one to admit. Because my dislike of Julia Roberts is fairly well known. It's the Maid In Manhattan phenomenon. For the privilege of watching Ralph Fiennes, one has to sit through Jennifer Lopez. Except Hugh Grant is no Ralph Fiennes so this analogy just dumb. P.S. - I also like Mystic Pizza (17).

No comments: