February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day

I made the usual blog rounds and have come back here in guilt, that I have yet to address this momentous holiday. I am happily enamored of my significant other so there's no reason for me to ignore such an important time in consumerism. Is that a word? My point is, people have chosen many ways to celebrate this day. Some chose poetry. So I wrote a poem:
    For Geo

    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    I like your penis
    (and you too)
Ta-da!!! *applause* No no, standing ovations aren't necessary.

Some other people chose to give a brief history of their great love story. So here is ours:

In 1995, Geo and I met because I was going out with his best friend. Years passed. I married someone else, while elsewhere in the country Geo was off dating and banging random chicks. More years passed. My first husband and I decided to separate. One day, I was unemployed and found out Geo was unemployed too. Our unemployed asses started hanging out. Because there's nothing quite like being drunk at a movie theatre at 3 p.m. on a Tuesday. Our original intention was just to be friends (and I have bar napkins scrawled with the names of every person either one of us has slept with to prove it.) And we managed this for quite awhile, until Fate stepped in under the guise of Too Many Drunken Nights Alone With Each Other. We decided we were good together. Discussed a small wedding ceremony in Hawaii. Fate laughed and stepped in again, this time under the guise of Too Much Whiskey and a Red Victoria's Secret Bustier. Two people started growing in my stomach. Quickie ceremony at City Hall during which we both cried. Possibly for different reasons. Two little girls popped out of my stomach. And here we are. But um, a little more romantic than that. Romantic like shared humor and actual love and respect for one another versus fire hazards and stinky incense. Though flowers are nice.

Other people chose to celebrate Valentine's Day with heartfelt messages to their loved one. I can do that too:

"Geo, I love you more than food. MORE. THAN. FOOD."

But since I'm too lazy to do all that (hee) I'll just make a list.
    Top 8 Things That Rock About Geo

    1. He doesn't just love me and the kiddos, he actually likes us too. Love is obligatory. Like isn't.
    2. He's good at everything. Seriously. It's a bit scary at times.
    3. He's strong, but doesn't need to assert his manliness for the sole purpose of asserting it.
    4. He makes the best garlic mashed potatoes. Period.
    5. He's that guy that won't say anything for twenty minutes, then when he does it's hysterical. He talks a lot when it's just the two of us though. Not that anyone believes it.
    6. He doesn't whine and bitch and moan over the things he can't change.
    7. If it's important to me, it's important to him. Even if it's the stupidest thing on the planet and we both know it. Or he just knows it.
    8. Everything else I didn't mention.

No comments: