February 19, 2006

Weekend Recap

Weekend Recap: Line Dancing, Drinks and Jersey Gardens

On Saturday I went to Min's grandfather's 80th birthday celebration. Min, Marichelle, Cheryl and I stuffed ourselves full of Filipino food, then... line danced. Sober. Which oddly enough made it more difficult. They hired a dance instructor for the evening and she taught about 30 different line dances. I didn't even know that many existed. The only one I can do is the electric slide. I think Kwame has me on video, electric sliding at his wedding while 6 months pregnant. Screw yoga. Don't worry, my shoes had rubber soles. And seriously... line dancing is really, stupidly, fun.

After the shindig, Tony swung by with a carload of people and we hit up Opus in the city. At the entrance we saw some friends who were leaving, having reached their goal of getting wasted, and seeing no point in continuing to pay $11 for drinks. The place was packed, mainly with people a lot younger than us. The giveaway was when the DJ played Bel Biv Devoe's "Poison" and the younguns stood around in confusion while our party went nuts. The same thing happened later on, when the DJ played "Cool It Now" by New Edition and "Head to Toe" by Lisa Lisa.

Song playing: "That girl is poison..."
Me: Hey look ex-boyfriend, they wrote a song about me.
Tony: Yeah they sure did.
Me: I made the joke before you could.
Tony: Dammit.

What I love about bars is people-watching, and catching those not-so-rare moments of Drunk Logic. Like this guy who was standing at the bar and fell over. His friends helped him up and he decided (while keeping a death grip on the counter) that the best course of action was to order more shots. Or this girl who spilled her drink on the bar and couldn't find any napkins, so she used her shirt sleeve. Or this other girl who decided her bad-back-having, sex injured friend Tony shouldn't have to go all the way back to his car for something, so she would run one block and one city avenue (translation: "long motherfucking block") in 4-inch heels and 20-degree weather to get it for him. Oh wait, that idiot was me.

It's weird that in a city as populated as New York, people are always running into random people they sort of know. Tony pointed out a girl and said it was my neighbor. I'd never seen her before so I walked up and asked her if she was my neighbor and lo and behold, she was. Also, while smoking outside some guy asked me if I used to work for the NBA. I replied in the affirmative. Turns out he used to live near me in Newark. And there we all were.

When there were only about 20 or so people left in the place, I asked the DJ to play "Lost In Emotion" by Lisa Lisa, since he'd played "Head to Toe" earlier. People got upset with him so he announced over the loudspeaker that I'd requested it and they all turned their angry eyes on me. I just threw up my hands and said "Yeah I did it, and what??? What???" Fucking youngsters. Meanwhile, Tony tried to cha-cha away. Also, I kind of sympathy danced with the bathroom attendant for a few seconds. The night ended with a trip to White Castle, of course.

Lastly, I did some shopping this weekend, for the first time in over a year, possibly two. Which was fun because I've fallen off since having kids. There used to be a time when I'd leave the house with perfect hair, make-up, clothing, accessories and nails. Then for a couple of years I was lucky if my hair and clothes were clean. Usually, they weren't. Now, I'm kind of reaching for that middle ground. Picked up 3 pairs of shoes for $4.99 EACH, a jacket for 12 bucks and two shirts for 8 bucks each. That noise you hear is me patting myself on the back.

Image hosting by Photobucket
People don't really care about my new clothes but I'm excited by my finds so
here they are. Bargain shopping might just be one of my mutant powers.

No comments: