March 10, 2006

They Reminisce Over You

They Reminisce Over You
(You know how every so often I have to bust out a song for a title)

Hooked up with my girl Nadia last night, for the first time in a few years. As to be expected when old friends see each other after a long absence, we ran through our lives, then reminisced about old times. She released a few singles with a group called Iio, "Rapture" (which is a club staple in NYC) and "At The End" but is now working on a different project. Though her former producer just released another of their singles and they're starting to play it on KTU.

Me: I watched a stripper strip to your song a few months ago. It was a bit disturbing.
Nadia (laughing): Yeah, one of my family friends told me the same thing and he said it really grossed him out.
Me: But you know you've arrived when Diamond and Sassy start requesting your song before they mount the pole.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Isn't she purty?


Back in the day recollections:

-How we became friends eight years ago when I worked at the NBA and she worked at Versace which was in the same building. We shared an elevator and she complimented me on my coat (which was faux fur zebra striped by the way. I don't know which of us was more on crack.)

-The time I took her and Mike to this hole-in-the-wall bar in Lodi, New Jersey. The place was packed with bikers for "Karaoke Saturdays" and the regular bartender quit so I was helping out the owner, who I knew. Nadia got supremely drunk and some very scary uber-butch lesbians were literally carrying her out the door (slung over their back) when I ran after them. And almost came to blows with their leader (she looked like a female Arnold Schwarzenegger so she would have pounded me) that kept saying "stay out of this Barmaid." I dragged Nadia back to Mike and blasted him with "What the hell are you doing letting your friend get kidnapped by lesbians" and he replied with "They said they were helping her." Okay.

Incidentally, people kept ordering drinks from me and I didn't know where any of the bottles were, but they had Jagermeister ON TAP. So people would say "Two Jack and cokes please" and I'd say "Um... I don't know where that is so you're getting two shots of Jager." And they would just do it. The owner said I sold more Jager that night than he's sold in two months.

-The time we were partying at Lani's and Nadia disappeared into the bathroom for awhile. The next morning Lani calls me into the bathroom, points to a roll of toilet paper and says "What the hell is that?" It was a regular roll of toilet paper that was now shaped like a cube, with the middle of the roll once wet and now dried with make-up on random sheets in the middle of the roll. But it hadn't been re-rolled. We called it The Mystery of The Toilet Paper and it stayed in Lani's desk at work for a few months while we tried to figure out just what happened.

I love it when you hang out with friends you haven't seen in a long time and it's as if no time has passed. There's no awkwardness, no uncomfortable silence, just people who are genuinely glad to be seeing each other again.

Also, she fed me Indian food. Mike called up when she was on her way over and asked if I wanted to hit up the Indian joint but I told him I was already going. He was pretend-aghast. "You really are a food whore." What, you guys didn't know it by now. I'm not going to have any friends left.

No comments: