February 15, 2007

My New Tattoo

The New Tattoo HNT

(Dan triggered a thought in the comments, so here is my one and only ever contribution to HNT. Have to try everything at least once right?)

So I got some new "flash" last Saturday:


The one on the right is the new one. I got the Chinese tribal dragon in 1995,
the sun and stars of the Filipino flag in 1996 and the rose on my ankle in 1999.



Okay so you really have to trust your dentist AND your tattoo artist.


My little newborn tattoo right after birth, and Yoni!


Me and Steve went to see Les Mis right after. I walked into the place
in baggy jeans, my Punisher tank and a scully and left in a cocktail dress.

    Q&A about my tattoo:

    Q: What is it and why did you choose it?
    A: The phoenix, a mythical bird which can be reborn from its own flame and ashes at the end of its life cycle or when injured. Also known as the Firebird (which I played in my 1st grade school play), its tears have healing powers. The reasons behind the choice are fairly personal, but my close friends have told me that when they heard what I got, it made complete sense to them.

    Q: What made you get another tattoo?
    A: Well it was a surprise, I thought Steve and I were going to some crazy bar before the show. But I'd been wanting to get a tattoo to mark my 30th year and it's awesome that I got to share the experience with one of my best friends. So there it is, Bob's your uncle. (Sorry, just wanted to say that.)

    Q: Does Geo like it?
    A: Absolutely. He's jealous that I beat him to it, but we both knew that would happen. His next tattoo is going to be huge so it's going to take some designing and stuff.

    Q: Who did it and where?
    A: Yoni at New York Adorned, this awesome parlor on 3rd Street and Second Ave.

    Q: How long did it take?
    A: The actual tattooing part took a little over an hour and a half, but Yoni also had to draw the tattoo based on my concept. He is actually the best tattoo artist I've ever seen, and I've gotten or been with people who have gotten tattoos all over San Francisco, San Diego and L.A. He's amazing.

    Q: Did it hurt? What does it feel like?
    A: The initial outline in black is really what hurts the most, but it's not bad. I think with tattoos, the anticipation of the pain is a lot worse than the reality. After the first ten minutes or so the area kind of numbs up. When the needle hit the sensitive skin on my side however, those moments weren't too pleasant.

    Q: Will you get more?
    A: Eventually. My body is a canvas. With stretch marks, so maybe I'll avoid tattooing the front area and just stick to my back. I won't be getting another one anytime soon though.

    Q: How much did it cost?
    A: You'll have to ask Steve.

    Q: Seriously?
    A: Yes.

    Q: Your friends really and truly spoil the shit out of you.
    A: Wait, that's not a question. (But yeah, they do. They don't have to, but they do.)

No comments: