May 20, 2004

Random Thoughts While Washing Dishes

Well I was supposed to head into the city today for a doctor's appointment but that isn't going to happen. I just really don't feel like it. Summer flu maybe, or maybe just the fucked up weather we've been having. I hate this weather. Hot cold hot cold hot cold. Hot and humid followed by a week of scattered thunderstorms. Nice. Way to fuck with my immune system. You know what, I need to stop blogging in the morning. I'm too cranky. Let me wait a few hours then come back.

*INTERMISSION*

Okay much better.

Random Thoughts While Washing Dishes

1. Everytime I read a romance novel set in medieval England or Scotland, it always mentions how most people never bathed. Not to make light of something that perpetuated the Black Plague or anything, but it's weird to me that masses of people regardless of socio-economic class wouldn't bathe. I understand why the lower classes didn't, they had more important things to do like survive. But what about all the rich or middle class people? The courtesans? The merchants? Understandably they didn't know that the practice of cleanliness would lessen disease, but didn't they have noses? Couldn't they smell the difference? You had to figure at least a few people bathed regularly. Didn't people ever meet them, smell them and think... "That lady smelled like sunshine and primroses... HEY!! I wanna smell like that too!!!"

2. A few months ago my friends Shannon and Ian came up from North Carolina because Ian had some business meetings in the city. They stayed at the Soho Grand. We brought the girls in to hang out with them and at their hotel picked up the nicest bottle of water ever used by anyone to mix baby formula. It was Voss water from Norway and it was 8 fricken bucks. The bottle itself was sleek and made of glass, with the brand name etched onto it instead of the stickers they have on poor peoples' water. The effect was instantaneous on my girls, the moment they drank their baby formula mixed with $8 water, they stuck their noses in the air and refused to make eye contact.

3. On an episode of Law and Order I just watched, a baseball fan said there are three ways to tell who a person is; how they round the bases, what they read and what they save. So using that as a guide I am faster when drunk, there's an esoteric method to my madness and I am sentimental and cautious. Because I haven't rounded the bases since playing beerball in college, where you down a beer at every base. I read anything and everything as long as it is either romantic, amusing, political, imaginative, adventurous, true or informative. And I keep everything that pertains to my family or my friends. Plus anything I think I just *might* need in the future, no matter how slim that possibility of my needing it is.

I've got more, but the kiddos are waking up from their nap.

No comments: