June 13, 2004

Hell In A Handbasket?

Hell In A Handbasket?
I really don't consider myself this heavy sinner. I don't sleep around, don't attack people (too often), don't eat too much, don't drink too much (anymore), don't steal, don't murder and don't run around telling people (seriously) that there is no God. But then I thought about how loosely "sinning" is defined by religion, especially my own, Catholicism.

Yet Another List: Sins I Committed Today

Complained about church (sacrilege)
Said "Godammit" when I tripped (blasphemy)
Painted my toenail that had chipped polish (vanity)
Exercised (vanity...although is it vanity if you started exercising because you never used to and you were feeling tired all the time because of yet another sin, sloth?)
Looked in the mirror and perused a zit (vanity)
Thought Geo looked hot (lust)
Slept for 10 hours (sloth)
Watched tv instead of cleaning my kitchen (sloth)
Saw a mansion on some architectural show and wanted it (greed)
Thought "Wow my babies are the cutest ever" (pride)
Bitched about people who go to family restaurants and get mad because kids are there (wrath)
Said "Godammit" when I tripped again (blasphemy)
Wished some couple who killed their infant twins would get strapped into the electric chair and fried (wrath)
Wanted to eat a whole batch of frosted sugar cookies but decided not to because don't want to be fat (gluttony AND vanity)

And it's not even 2 yet. This list is going to get even longer by the day's end.

Kwame wants me and Geo to have our own reality show. I know people enjoy our conversations but I just want to prove that we are capable of having a serious, meaningful conversation about our life together:

Geo: I wouldn't be able to live without you.
Me: So were you scared in the operating room when I had the babies.
Geo: YES.
Me: You didn't look scared.
Geo: Well I couldn't show it.
Me: Yeah I guess you were, you didn't really laugh at any of my jokes. Or the doctor's. And they were pretty funny. Were you afraid something would happen to me?
Geo: Yes. I don't want to talk about this anymore.
Me: Hey next time I have to have a c-section do you think they'd let me watch?
Geo: Eeew hell no I wouldn't want to see that.
Me: Not you watch, me watch. I'd want to see it if it was me. I wouldn't want to see them pull a baby out of you or anything.
Geo: Um okay.
Me: Imagine if they left a gauze pad or something in there. Like scissors or a napkin.
Geo: You'd know.
Me: I know but WHAT IF?

No comments: