July 19, 2004

Random Crap

I read the book Abel lent me last night (Fluke) and it was pretty good. The author was the same guy who wrote Lamb. It's the story of a marine biologist who one day spots a humpback whale with the words "BITE ME" written on its tail. I agree the premise is absurd but the book is pretty funny. And the protagonist went to UC Santa Cruz woo-hoo! Yes, gratuitous alma mater mention right there. Lamb was much better but Fluke was a good read as well.

Okay seriously... this article on the Philippines withdrawing their peacekeeping troops from Iraq makes me feel like defending my people. WE'RE NOT A BUNCH OF PANSIES!!!! WE'RE REALLY NOT!!!! COME TO MY HOUSE AND I'LL PROVE IT... I'LL KICK YOUR ASS!!! Ahhh.... much better. See this is why women shouldn't be allowed to lead countries. Our inherent nurturing bullshit gets in the way and we don't have the stomach to make difficult decisions. Okay I'm just kidding about the whole women leading countries thing, but let's be honest, considering most female leaders, you know there's a grain of truth there.

And yes, I'm not very popular with feminists. I remember when I was a sophomore in college, I signed up for some class called "Women and the Law." This was back before I was a Business Economics major and I was still considering a career in law. On the first day of class I walk in and the room is packed with militant feminist lesbians. In retrospect, I can't believe I didn't see it coming. The thirty minutes after role call is spent with a professor-led group tirade against Sandra Day O'Connor and how she's evil because she doesn't do enough for the feminist cause. So I raise my hand and say loudly and firmly, "I think Sandra Day O'Connor is doing the best thing she can for women everywhere. She is proving that women can do what has historically been "a man's job" as well as or better than any man, without being biased as a result of her gender. Men tend to scoff at the idea of a woman crossing boundaries or holding power in a male-dominated environment, because they think women will be clouded by feminine tendencies to softness or by their own bias resulting from past offenses from repressive males. Sandra Day O'Connor is living proof that it doesn't have to be so." I spent the next 20 minutes getting yelled at by every person in the room but it just made me laugh. I mean come on, what were they going to do. Ban me from the next NOW meeting that I don't attend.

So the other day we were at Nathan's/Popeye's and if anything in there (besides the oil dripping off our food) should have alerted us that what we were eating was less than healthy it was this:

No comments: