November 28, 2004

Thanksgiving Weekend

Thanksgiving Weekend

On Thursday, Geo's parents came over, plus Lani and her man Selah who were up visting New York from Florida. We had an extremely delicious Thanksgiving dinner, so naturally I had absolutely nothing to do with the cooking. Geo did everything (I just peeled the potatoes and did clean-up) and it was the best Thanksgiving meal I've ever had, which is saying a lot since I adore food. He served:

Turkey marinated in brine overnight and roasted with dried onion
Garlic mashed potatoes
Herb stuffing
Sausage and chestnut cornbread stuffing
Sauteed yellow, red and green bell peppers with onion
Asparagus with hollandaise sauce
Stuffed mushroom caps
Buttered sugar corn
Pumpkin and apple pies


Did I mention yet that it was so damn incredibly good? He got his recipes and techniques from the Food Network website. Geo says that "when" I get my book published (he's not only optimistic about the luck I'll have with an unfinished manuscript he's never read, he's apparently also optimistic that my tendency to procrastinate won't hinder my efforts) he's going to go to cooking school and become a gourmet chef. Which will mean only one thing...

I am going to be really fat one day. Huge. Enormous. And completely unrepentant about it.

On Friday night, I went to Big City Bar and Grill or Something or Other with Selah, Lani, Kwame, Kesha, Mike J and Coleen. As evidenced by this photo which unfortunately was taken after Kaan left:



It was on 90th and Third Ave but the restaurant itself was empty so we chilled at the table for hours, catching up. It's funny how things can change with your friends while you're not looking. Kaan used to be crudely funny and totally unashamed of it. Like I'd walk into the room at the NBA and announce "I've got a problem, someone help me" and he'd automatically reply "I'll help you. Bend over." Which I know most women would find offensive but he was a good friend (and it was such a Kaan statement) so me, Kwame and Lani would just laugh our asses off. Now he's going through some sort of Sensitive Rebirth. You actually have to ply him with beer in order to see glimpses of the old Kaan, like his story about dancing with a dwarf on a singles cruise, that his friend later fingered in the bathroom. In honor of the old Kaan, here's the most Kaan-esque quote of all:

Chick (jokingly trying to flirt): Why do you want my boyfriend's e-mail address? Are you going to get all obsessed and cut my head off to hurt him like in Seven?
Kaan: If I ever cut your head off, I'd put it on the mantle and then me and your boyfriend would bang chicks in front of it.

She deserved that. Who flirts using scenes from the movie Seven? That was a horrific movie. Not the actual movie, but the content. Ick. Moving on...

On Saturday, Net and Mike C came over to hang out and help ravage the leftovers. We hit up Target and the mall to check out the sales. Of course, it can't actually happen that there would be the largest sale of the year and I would find something nice and cheap to buy. Normally I'm good at hitting bargain jackpots, but for some reason decent Black Friday (Black Saturday?) sale items continue to elude me. So I picked up a regular price jacket that I really didn't need, except that it was in that lime green shade I've been eyeing and it looked good with jeans. Since I never used to wear jeans that much pre-parenthood, I have a shortage of jackets that look good with jeans. Which I am slowly but surely remedying, because you know you gotta have priorities in life.

After the kiddos went to bed, we sat around and played "I Never" (or as my friend Eugen calls it, "Never Have I Ever") for awhile. It's a drinking game where everyone says a statement and everyone who has done it has to take a drink. The best part was when Net said "I never had my sister-in-law kiss me on the lips" and then took a drink. I was looking at her in absolute confusion after she said it, which was compounded by the fact that she paused, looked right at me, then took a drink. I was sitting there like, wait, I'M her only sister-in-law since Geo has no brothers, so she must mean me. Plus her and Mike C were laughing hysterically so I knew they were refering to me.

I asked her when I kissed her and apparently, three years ago at Manny's house in Cherry Hill, we were all drinking Everclear and got completely smashed. I walked into the house with an urgent need to relieve myself, but Net was already waiting for the restroom. She was about to go in when I asked her if I could cut in front of her. She said she really had to go too, so I said "Please please please" then grabbed her face and planted her a smooch on the lips. She was like "Uhhh, okay you can go." Mike C walked in right at that moment and was like "Dude, that was so hot." Funny as hell. I guess I was still in Intensely Social Drunken Riss Mode. That's right after Pour More Shots Drunken Riss Mode and right before Aggressive Drunken Riss Mode and waaaaay before Picking Fights With Bouncers Drunken Riss Mode. Anyway, after Net took her drink I shrugged and went "Oh well, I guess I should be taking a drink too."

And the weekend pretty much just ended on a great note a few minutes ago, when Geo walked into the room and sat down. I went over to hug him and let him know what a wonderful guy he was.

Me: Out of the 8 husbands I have, you're my favorite.
Geo: Thanks.
Me: Don't I always say the most romantic things?
Geo: I have to fart.

No comments: